Thoughts on life, God, and the beauty of things...

Saturday, April 14, 2012

26


Twenty-six.

There is endless information on turning 25; how you should feel and what you should do about it, but what about 26?

I’m finding that turning 26 really only has two options: Repeat steps for 25 or recap on everything you have done, tried, and changed, and decide what to do from there. Thankfully I listened to the advice given for turning 25, so I have nothing to do but recap my year.

RECAP:

I love almost all music. I say almost because I still have a dislike towards twang and serious rap. But I no longer hate all country (just the artists who sing in that nasally key that drives me crazy like nails on a chalk board), and I no longer have an issue blasting a good Miley Cyrus or Disney song while going down main street if I feel so inclined... for the most part anyways. Not only can I walk in heels, but I can run in them. Although, not quite as well as a good friend of mine. I don’t know how she does it, she doesn’t even wear heels all that often! But when she’s in them and it’s time to boot it, she’s as good as gone! I’m still a little lost on the necktie thing, I can handle a very simplistic horrible looking tie and that’s about it. I still prefer not to toast at weddings, but I can if I must and I can definitely cook a good dinner. I will just need you to cut me some slack when it comes to dessert. When I make dessert it never seems to come out right, but it is always edible! And it tastes good to boot!... as long as I didn’t burn it.
I definitely believe that anything is possible and over this past year I am making that belief a reality.
I know what I’m good at; teaching and paper work. I know what makes me feel alive; photography and teaching, discovering new things. I dream about travelling and the future and what God has in store for me.  At first glance 25 didn’t seem to be all that good for me, but it has prepared me for the amazing year of adventure ahead. 25 taught me to be, well, me. To strive, and fail, and get over it. To give up on what you know was never meant to be, and mourn, and move on. To be happy, no matter where you live or where you work. To find the good in what you are doing, even if you hate it. To know that even while you’re doing your best to be positive and just keep swimming, it’s okay to be stressed out and a little angry. As long as you don’t chose misery, life can be good. 25 has taught be to be persistent and consistent. If there is something you really want than keep asking and keep striving, be patient and let it happen when it should. Make it happen, do not force it, but work at it and be open to a change or two in the plan. There truly is something good to be said about letting things go, letting the control go, and just tagging along for the ride.

End of recap.

Even though there have been parts of 25 that I really could have survived without, I know that even the worst moments of the past are being used to make the future even better.
So next is deciding what to do with all that has happened in my 25th year, and all I can say is that I cannot wait to live the year that my 26th year is offering.

The change, the adventure, the experience.

Now is your time. Become, believe, try. Walk closely with people you love, and with other people who believe that God is very good and life is a grand adventure. Don't spend time with people who make you feel like less than you are. Don't get stuck in the past, and don't try to fast-forward yourself into a future you haven't yet earned. Give today all the love and intensity and courage you can, and keep traveling honestly along life's path. – Shauna Niequist

No comments:

Post a Comment